Discover more from Roots2Words
Roots2Words Quiz: October 2023
How much did you learn this month?
Saturdays are perfect days for edifying surprises. Surprise—it's time for a pop quiz! Let's see if you've been paying attention over the last month...
For each of the following five definitions, select the word defined. Answers are at the end of the question set.
1. Fervor for a person, cause or object; enthusiastic diligence; ardor:
(A) zeal (B) indolence (C) confection (D) dereliction (E) philanthropy
2. Excessively eager and attentive to follow, please, or obey; fawning, subservient:
(A) gobsmacked (B) posthumous (C) obsequious (D) sacrosanct (E) indigenous
3. To hold in deep respect; to honor and revere:
(A) mitigate (B) venerate (C) arbitrate (D) peregrinate (E) convene
4. Performed with a minimum of effort or interest; cursory, hasty, or superficial:
(A) stentorian (B) liminal (C) overweening (D) anomalous (E) perfunctory
5. Strong leadership, authority, or dominance:
(A) hyperbole (B) levity (C) moniker (D) hegemony (E) diaspora
ANSWERS: 1.A 2.C 3.B 4.E 5.D
—If you didn't get 5 out of 5, go back and review last month's words!—